2020-2021 Focus on Vermont
The Vermont Racial Justice Alliance
Mount Mansfield Community Television and
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
Hosted by Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
273 Vermont Route 15, Jericho, Vermont
Moderator: The Reverend Dr. Arnold Isidore Thomas, Pastor
How far have we come as Americans in confronting racism? This is a topic that remains so intimidating and painful that we prefer not to talk about it in public for fear of what we might say or reveal, or how others might see or treat us. In this forum series, we wish to create a safe space where we can speak openly and honestly as people of good intent who seek the best for each other and our nation as we honestly face the racial divisions of our past and present with the hope of reconciliation. This year’s forum series will focus on combating racism in Vermont.
HOW TO ATTEND: For the 2020-2021 program year, each forum will be a virtual gathering through Zoom Video Conferencing and distributed through Mount Mansfield Community Television. Pre-registration is required, please. Simply provide your name and email in the quick pre-registration form below. Thank you.
Racism Forum Pre-Registration
If you’re unable to attend, you can view the recorded broadcast by logging into the Mount Mansfield Community Television website.
If you have not used Zoom before, here’s a basic how-to about Joining a Zoom Meeting.
2020 – 2021 OVERVIEW
Rev. Dr. Arnold Isidore Thomas, Pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church (Jericho, VT), gives an overview of the third year of this forum. Source: MMCTV (Mount Mansfield Community TV).
MMCTV is the media sponsor of this series. Links to previous Racism in America videos can be found here on Internet Archive, or at MtMansfieldCtv.org
SCHEDULE OF GUEST SPEAKERS
October 2020 thru June 2021
WEDNESDAY, OCT 7, 2020, 7 PM – Racism Is A Public Health Crisis, City of Burlington
- Miro Weinberger, Mayor, City of Burlington
- Rev. Mark Hughes, Executive Director, Justice for All
- Zoraya Hightower, Councilwoman (Ward 1)
- Max Tracy, City Council President (Ward 2)
WEDNESDAY, NOV 11, 2020, 7 PM ~ Future Forecast for America Following 2020 Elections
- Bor Yang, Executive Director & Legal Counsel, Vermont Human Rights Commission
- Hal Colston, Deputy Mayor, Winooski, Vermont and State Representative
- Kesha Ram, Candidate, State Senator, Vermont
- Tyeastia Green, Director of Racial Equity, Burlington, Vermont
TUESDAY, DEC 1, 2020, 7 PM ~ Growing Up Black in Rural Vermont
- African American High School Students (Mount Mansfield Union High School, Woodstock Union High School and Randolph Union High School) share their experiences.
WEDNESDAY, JAN 13, 2021, 7 PM ~ “The Meeting.”
- A virtual production of Shades of Truth Theater. The Meeting is a fictional account of a secret meeting between Malcolm X and Martin Luther King.
WEDNESDAY, FEB 24, 2021, 7 PM ~ Is There a Future for Black Entrepreneurs in Vermont?
- Robert Hughes, Hughes Development Properties
- Leslie McCrorey Wells, Pizzeria Verità, Trattoria Delia and Sotto Enoteca
- Earl Ransom, Strafford Creamery
- Al Wakefield, Wakefield Global
WEDNESDAY, MAR 24, 2021, 7 PM ~ Black Female Activists in Vermont
- Ebony Kirkland, Black Lives Matter, Vermont
- Shela Linton, Organizer/Program Coordinator, The Root
- Sha’an Mouliert, Community Organizer, Educator, Artist
WEDNESDAY, APR 21, 2021, 7 PM ~ Reimagining Policing and Public Safety in Vermont
- Lieutenant Robert Lucas, Commander of the Williston State Police Barracks
- Maroni Minter, Campaign Director, Vermont ACLU
- Captain Garry Scott, Director of Fair and Impartial Policing, Vermont State Police
WEDNESDAY, MAY 5, 2021, 7 PM ~ NAACP in Vermont
- Steffen Gillom, President of Windham County NAACP and Tabitha Pohl-Moore, President of Rutland NAACP share their thoughts regarding major issues and concerns of Black Americans, including Black Vermonters.
WEDNESDAY, JUN 9, 2021, 7 PM ~ The Social Equity Caucus
- In the summer of 2019, Vermont state senators, representatives and citizens met at Hartford Union High School in Hartford, Vermont to form the Social Equity Caucus to advocate for the creation and passage of social justice legislation affecting people of color. We shall hear and discuss what progress has been made from its founding members, State Representative Kevin Christie, State Representative Brian China, and State Representative Lucy Rogers.
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church – 273 Vt Route 15 – PO Box 495 – Jericho, VT 05465
© All Rights Reserved – Good Shepherd Lutheran Church – Jericho, VT – 2020